No gluten in sight here, but best of all are the colours you can achieve. Serving tasty meals that are a rainbow of colours is good for the mind as well. This recipe also suits vegetarians and the stuffing for the peppers can be great with jacket potatoes as well. We suggest a filling here but be creative and make up your own – use meat if you want, like beef or turkey mince, very wholesome in the Autumn and Winter months.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Dietary: GF, NF, vegetarian (vegans can enjoy with vegan cheese)
- 4 mixed coloured peppers, stalk top cut off (about 2½cm) and seeds removed
- 120g feta cheese or similar, crumbled
- 200g light spreadable cheese
- 2 small or 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 10g of your favourite herb i.e. fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Once you have removed the top of the pepper and scooped out the seeds, take a small but very sharp knife to remove some of the fibrous structure inside. Wash out the peppers.
- Take a tiny sliver off the bottom of the peppers so that they will stand up in your baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the feta, spreadable cheese, garlic, spring onions and the chopped herbs. Try to make sure it is also combined and evenly mixed.
- Fill the peppers with the mix and put the lid on. You can secure with a cocktail stick or similar to keep the tops on. Fit them snugly into your baking dish.
- Ensure the oven is on full at 220°C, or Gas mark 7. Before placing in the oven, drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar to sharpen up the taste.
- Cook for 25-30 mins, then remove to a warm plate and serve with mixed salad or other salad to enjoy. A bit of crusty bread to mop up the creamy juices would also be great!
You can barbecue these peppers as well on a really hot coal one, or gas. Better to use lots of the small, sweet peppers than large ones.
Nutritional Values: 217 calories per pepper, Fat 15g, Carbs 12g, Protein 11g