Don’t think of normal beans on toast, this is way beyond opening just a tin and pouring the beans hot, over toast and butter! This is a more elevated recipe, extremely tasty, with an Italian kick. As vegans need protein (as a substitute for meat protein), the beans are here to fill the gap. There is also a very healthy amount of fibre, considering the amount of beans.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 0-15 mins
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Several ‘glugs’ of Worcestershire sauce (vegan equivalent), to taste
- 100g spinach
- 1 x 400g mixed beans from a tin, rinsed and drained
- 2tsp sundried tomato paste
- 2 large slices of ciabatta bread (or 4 smaller ones)
- 1tsp chopped parsley, to garnish, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drop half a tbsp of olive oil into a pan and sweat the onions until soft. Add the chopped garlic and stir for approx. 1 minute to soften.
- Add the beans, Worcester sauce, sundried tomato paste and chilli flakes and continue to stir.
- When the mix begins to bubble, stir in the spinach, gently. Turn down and keep to a simmer.
- Grill the toast and rub some more garlic onto the toast when ready.
- Season the beans and tip them over the bread slices and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Do double the recipe if you want more!