These bran muffins can be eaten at any time and are a very healthy snack to take with you, if you get the munchies in the car! Also good for lunchboxes. Plenty of fibre means that you can help your bowel movements naturally and easily. Bake and freeze so that you are never without them! The bananas make these muffins creamy in texture and provide a good amount of potassium.
Serves: Approx 12-15 medium sized muffins
Prep time: Less than 30 mins
Cook time: 10-30 mins
- 115g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 115ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free-range large eggs
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 100g wheat bran
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- ¼tsp salt
- Handful chopped walnuts (smallish pieces), to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease a muffin tin or line with muffin cases. If you use cases, you can transport these muffins easier.
- Using a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until nice and fluffy. Add the bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs and mix together.
- Combine the flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt and blend into the banana mixture. Stir in the walnuts.
- Scoop or spoon the mixture into each case and pop into the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or thin skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tray for five minutes then place on a wire rack to cool completely.